WELCOME TO YOUR FUTURE
Welcome to the page which provides access to a wealth of information on the careers work of the school and about careers in general. The following information and research material can be found here:
- How the careers programme fits into the school's PSHE programme.
- Information about Years 9 - 11 events in the Careers calendar.
- An overview of the Careers Library to see what is on offer.
- Use of careers software to explore careers ideas. Mrs Williamson - Head of Careers
- receive a planned programme of Careers Education as an integral part of their Personal & Social Education programme.
- have access to the Careers Library and will receive guidance on how to access information from year 9 onwards.
- have access to computer based careers information and training on its retrieval.
- receive guidance on their GCSE Option choices in Years 8 and 9.
- have the opportunity to take part in Take Our Sons/Daughters To Work day in year 9.
- take part in 'A Day in the World of Work'in year 9.
- take part in a two week block placement of Work Experience in the summer term of Year 10.
- be given the information to receive information and guidance from the Careers Advisor in Years 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 through individual and/or group interviews.
- have access to a Careers Advisor at Years 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 Parents' Evenings, with parents.
- have access to a Careers Advisor at Year 8 and 9 Options Evenings and Year 10 and 11 Parents' Evenings, with parents.
- receive information and guidance on Options Post 16.
- be informed of job vacancies, where relevant, in Years 11, 12 and 13.
All students will...
Helping students make decisions about their future, the Careers Library is a multi media research environment!
The following resources are available in the Careers Library:
- KUDOS - Let the computer help you decide what kind of a person you are, what your special interests are, and what sort of career you would be suited to.
- DVDs - these can either be viewed in the Interview Room, or taken home on a short-term loan. We have many titles ranging from Animal Care to IT, the Armed Forces to the Travel Industry.
- REFERENCE BOOKS - a wide range of reference books about employment, higher and further education, choosing GCSEs, A Levels, and many, many more. We also have Prospectuses for each of the Universities and Colleges in the UK.
- STAFF - Mrs Williamson is Head of Careers and the Work Experience Co-ordinator. She is based in the Careers Library and is there daily to help students access information and research their ideas.
- CAREERS ENTITLEMENT - Every student is entitled to a specified level of careers education and guidance. The Careers Entitlement document is displayed in the Careers Library and forms an integral part of school policy.
We help students to...
- research their ideas.
- identify their aims, learn to set targets and plan their future.
- complete any application forms for Sixth Form and College places.
- find employment and training opportunities if they do not wish to continue academic education.
- learn how to use computer software to identify strengths and weaknesses.
- learn how to research the reference material to identify the best opportunities for their future.
- put them in direct contact with the agencies who can help them in their next steps.
Careers Work From Year 9
We begin careers education in Year 9 with a Careers Carousel which offers students sessions on using the Careers Library, using the software available to them and choosing their subjects for GCSE. They also take part in a Day in the World of Work lots of work related activities hosted by local employers and Take our Sons/Daughters to Work.